Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday Indeed!

Waking up this morning...Coffee....Get the girls up for school...Breakfast.....Clothed and then into the car for delivery. Returning home in silence as my car hummed along I had a chance to reflect on the day I had yesterday. So I am happy for today! Why? You ask. The reason is because today is another day to work on my non-profit and to knit for my non-profit, Thanks to Sock Pixie for her idea.

I suppose you are a bit curious as to what my non-profit is and for? I hope you are anyway. A little background......


Hubby and I have two beautiful girls. Victoria whom will be 12 in May and Gabriella nearly 8 in July. Because there is a family inheritance of hearing loss on my side. Both of my daughters were tested at birth for hearing loss. Victoria came out fine. She has what I call "selective hearing" loss. (being a tween) Gabriella test failed. So from birth she had a profound to severe hearing problem. Over the years I have had to work hard to find resources and avenues to benefit her socially and medically. I am happy to say with hearing aids and WORK on her part she is a happy second grader in a mainstream school.

Being in the mainstream school like many hearing impaired kids they get scattered. Then there is no opportunities for them to get together for playdays and shared activities. Girls Scouts, Boy Scouts, soccer, softball. All these activities that may seem simple would be great for these Deaf and Hard of Hearing kids. Along with these things we would provide services to family members. What there rights are as a parent with a deaf child. Getting ASL (American Sign Language) classes, getting help with going to the dentist, doctors office and many other services. Raising a hearing child is VERY different from a child who is deaf or hard of hearing. I know from experience.

So the first fundraiser is going to be.......well let me tell you this. It will help you as well as help me. The extra stash of sock yarn will disappear and the knitting you do will be cute and fun. When I have all the details, the fundraiser button, and pattern I will let you in on all the information. Stay tune.

Here is some Lorna's Laces Shepheard Sock in Glenwood. I found a pattern that requires DPN'S. So I am going to give it a go and try my luck on these. I learned on two circlers.

No comments: