Monday, May 05, 2008

Surgery is never fun...

Well I had mentioned that Gabriella is going to be having surgery this next month. Having a child with a hearing loss is a challenge. Especially when mom (myself) am hearing impaired. She has a bi-laterial mild to sever loss. On her left side she has continued to lose middle ear function; so she became a canidate for a BAHA implant. The healing time for this is a total of three months. Due to the metal plate that they are placing in her skull. The skull will take that time to regrow over the plate. Then the exposed metal snap eventually have a processer placed. This is the functing device to enable her to hear. Unlike the hearing aid that uses an ear piece to help amplifiy sound through the middle ear, the BAHA will use the processor to send vibration signals through her skull to her coclea to hear better. So we are excited!! Her more than her dad and I.



Before surgery she is planning on cutting this beautiful hair and donating to "locks of Love" Since her left side of her head will have to shaved off she will be sporting a funky hairstyle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathleen, and Gabriela,

I will be thinking of you during the surgery. I am happy that so many options are now available to make things better. I was looking for my next project, and I know just the one: Hats for Gabriela to go with the cool hair style!

Hugs,

Caroline

Kathy... said...

Wishing you all the best - and a speedy recovery!